Monday 28 April 2014

Life as an idiot.




It's come to my attention that I'm genuinely stupid.

Today I turned up to a viewing at a potential school. Fellow student teachers will know the rigmarole - you turn up to introduce yourself thus kick-starting the interview process. It feels weird to apply to a school without first viewing as you need to show that you're taking interest and are actually keen to work THERE as opposed to anywhere. Well anyway. I turned up, parked in the car park, then something in the back of my brain told me to check the email ONE last time before I walk in there (even though I had genuinely read it a million times already.) The email read:

'I have booked you in a list to view on Wednesday 23rd April at 16:15pm.' to which I have replied with the standard 'looking forward to meet you' etc.

Today is Thursday 24th April, and it was16:00pm. Nearly 24 hours late, tail between my legs I decide to leave the school car park. I was in a tizz thinking about what to do - do I call them and apologise and look like an idiot? Do I not bother getting in contact at all leaving me looking rude as hell, or do I go home and send a grovelling email...? Being a teacher, you're supposed to be well organised above most other qualities - what kind of first impression is this?!

I drove about 100m down the road before biting the bullet and pulling over to call the office and apologise. After a chuckle, the receptionist spoke to the Headteacher who clearly took pity on the fool and fit me in to view the school solo.


In short, after the most awkward 20 mins of my life on a whirlwind tour where I could barely answer any of the questions the Head offered, I think I can safely say this is an interview I will not be short-listed for.

No comments:

Post a Comment